Hobby Boss 1/35 PLA PTL02 Wheeled Tank Destroyer Kit First Look
By Dave Manter
|Date of Review||December 2012||Manufacturer||Hobby Boss|
|Subject||PLA PTL02 Wheeled Tank Destroyer||Scale||1/35|
|Kit Number||82458||Primary Media||Styrene, photo-etch|
|Pros||100% new tooling, great details||Cons||No interior|
|Skill Level||Intermediate||MSRP (USD)||$42.99|
The PTL-02 wheeled assault gun system was based on the ZSL-92 wheeled armored vehicle, integrated with weapons technologies including the Type 86 100mm towed anti-tank gun and the Type 88 MBT. The vehicle was designed to engage armored vehicles, bunkers, fortifications and other stationary or moving targets. The PTL-02 has been fielded along with the ZSL-92 IFV and ZSL-92A APC in the PLA "rapid reaction" wheeled mechanized infantry troops.
The PTL-02 is powered by a BF8L413F 4-stroke, 8-cylinder, turbo-charged, air-cooled diesel engine with a standard power of 320hp. The vehicle uses a mechanical gear box, with 9 forward and 1 reverse gear. Power assisted steering, independent suspension, and central inflating system are fitted as standard. The gun system is not amphibious.
The HobbyBoss kit of the PLA PTL02 consists of over 265 parts, molded in tan plastic, on 12 sprues including the hull. Also included are 11 photo etch detail parts and 6 rubber tires. Decals are provided for two vehicles, one in a three color camo and one in a four color digital camo.
Parts are all molded very well and are up to HobbyBoss's usual standards. The seam lines are very fine which will make clean up and assembly easy. A quick check of the main components shows that fit is very good. Construction begins with the suspension and with a quick and easy modification to parts A17, the wheels can be turned. All you will need to do is round off the pin on part A17 (it is square, and will need to be round). Construction continues with the main body pieces and all of the detail parts. The very visible exhaust shield is supplied as a photo etch part. The final steps have you building the turret and fit here again on the main components is great.
Some key features of the kit are:
- 100% new tooling
- Accurately produced turret
- Commander and gunners hatches can be built open or closed
- Laser rangefinder on top of turret and commander's periscope are accurately produced
- Detailed 12.7mm antiaircraft gun and smoke dischargers
- Gun mantlet cover accurately molded
- Accurate infrared headlights
- Front windshield armor covers can be built open or closed
- Driver's hatches can be built open or closed
- Rear access door can be built open or closed
- Cooling vent screens are made from PE
- Gun travel lock can be deployed or retracted
- Detailed side access doors
- Well detailed wheels and suspension system
- Pioneer tools molded separately
- All six wheels can be made steerable
- Exhaust heat shield in PE
My sincere thanks to Squadron Mail Order for this review sample!