Hobby Boss 1/35 AFT-9 Anti-Tank Missile Launcher Kit First Look
By Dave Manter
|Date of Review||October 2013||Manufacturer||Hobby Boss|
|Subject||AFT-9 Anti-Tank Missile Launcher||Scale||1/35|
|Kit Number||82488||Primary Media||Styrene, photo-etch|
|Pros||100% new tooling||Cons||None|
|Skill Level||Experienced||MSRP (USD)||$59.99|
The HJ-9 entered service in the late 1990's and was first reveled during the national day military parade held in Beijing on October 1st, 1999. The missile was claimed to have an armor penetration capability of 1200 RHA, which means it can penetrate the front armor of most modern MBT in current service. The HJ-9 in service with the PLA is carried on a 4X4 WZ550 armored personnel carrier vehicle.
The WZ550 APC-mounted HJ-9 system is operated by a crew of 3 men, has an integrated weapon station containing an observation/fire-control unit and four missile launchers. There are four ready –to-launch missiles on the weapon station and eight spare missiles carried inside the vehicle.
The Hobby Boss kit consists of over 265 parts molded in tan styrene and 11 photo etch detail parts. All of the parts are molded to Hobby Bosses normal high standards.
Some key features of the kit are:
- 100% new tooling
- Anti-tank weapon station can be built deployed or stored
- Rear door can be open or closed
- Driver's armored window cover can be raised or lowered
- Driver's hatches can be open or closed
- Pioneer tools are molded separately
- Smoke grenade launchers are accurately molded
- Photo-etch intake grilles on the top hull
- Automatic fire control device is accurately molded
- Exhaust pipe well molded with photo-etched parts for added detail
- Headlight assemblies are accurately molded and enhanced with PE and clear parts
- Side door is well defined
- Running gear, suspension and steering systems are perfectly reproduced
This looks to be yet another winner from Hobby Boss! Fit of the main components is great. Tis one should be a fairly quick and easy build.
My sincere thanks to Squadron Mail Order for this review sample!