RS Models 1/72 P-39Q Airacobra Kit First Look
|Date of Review||March 2018||Manufacturer||RS Models|
|Kit Number||92182||Primary Media||Styrene|
|Pros||Crisp moldings, fine scribing, clear canopy||Cons||See text|
|Skill Level||Experienced||MSRP (Euro)||18.00€|
Originally designed as a high-altitude interceptor, Bell's P-39, with its potent 37mm canon, forged fame as one of WWII's premiere ground-attack aircraft. Relatively unsuccessful in US and RAF use, it proved particularly popular in Soviet VVS service.
RS Models' crisply molded 1/72-scale P-39Q reissue features 95 components on 3 trees in gray and clear styrene. Two more resin details, decals, and assembly instructions complete contents.
Moldings sport everything you'd expect from an RS kit, including:
- crisp moldings
- fine, recessed scribing
- clear canopy with fine, raised framing
- superbly detailed cockpit with instrument panel, bulkheads, joystick, bucket seat, console, floor, and gun sight
- separately molded, detailed wheel-well inserts
- separate cockpit entry doors with finely raised interior detailing
- delicately rendered fabric-covered control surfaces
- stunning decals
RS clearly intends styrene components for multiple Airacobra packages. All kit subjects, for instance, sport 3-bladed props. But you also get parts for 4-bladed units – and multiple exhaust options.
Easy-to-follow, 6-page instructions include a capsule history, parts map, 10-phase assembly sequence, painting details, and stencil location directions. In addition to the stencil suite and wing walks, decals cover 4 colorful schemes:
- USAAF P-39Q-6, 82nd TRS, 71st TRG, New Guinea, 1944
- USAAF P-39Q-1-BE, 72nd FS, 21st FG, Marianas Islands, 1944
- Soviet Bell P-39Q, 9th Guards Fighter Air Division, Poland, 1944
- USAAF P-39Q-1, 46th FS, 15th FG, Canton Island, 1943
RS beautifully illustrates all on its full-color, box-top markings guide.
With better out-of-box detail than many "mainstream" kit manufacturers offer, RS Models remains a world benchmark for outstanding "limited run" product quality.
Love P-39 Airacobras? Snag this little gem.
With thanks to RS Models for this review sample.