P-38 Lightning at War Part II Book Review
|Date of Review||April 2013||Title||P-38 Lightning at War Part II|
|Author||Andrezej Sadlo and Maciej Goralczyk||Publisher||Kagero|
|Format||18 pages, softbound||MSRP (USD)||$16.95|
Kagero is a prolific publisher of great military historical references, especially in World War II military aviation. This latest release is out of the 'mini TOPCOLORS' series with this one being number 33 in the series. These titles contain a number of nicely detailed four-view color profiles of selected subjects that no doubt come from their research of other titles. What's especially nice about these series is that Kagero provides decals for each of the subjects covered in this title in all three 'standard' scales: 1/32, 1/48, and 1/72.
This title covers eight Polish Spitfire examples in service with the RAF. These include:
- P-38G, 42-2197, 80 FS/8 FG, 3, Dobodura, New Guinea, 1943/44, 'Nulli Secundus / X-Virgin'
- P-38J, 42-104107, 49 FS/14 FG, 47, Triolo, Italy, 1944, 'Jewboy'
- P-38J, 42-67916, 55 FS/20 FG, KI-S, RAF Kings Cliffe, UK, 1944, 'California Cutie'
- P-38J, 43-28444, 402 FS/370 FG, E6-T, Florennes, Belgium, 1944/45, 'Vivacious Virgin II'
- P-38L, 44-23852, 96 FS/82 FG, B7, Vincenzo, Italy, 1945, 'Beautiful Bitch'
- P-38L, 44-26176, 36 FS/8 FG, A, San Jose, Mindoro, 1944/45, 'Vagrant Virgin'
- P-38L, 44-26176, 36 FS/8 FG, A, le Shima, 1945, 'Vagrant Virgin'
- P-38L, 44-26568, 36 FS/8 FG, W, le Shima, 1945, 'Wicked Woman'
The descriptions of each subject is provided in English and Polish and these color profiles are very nicely done. The decals are printed by Cartograf so you know the quality is there as well.
With distinctive subjects each in all three scales, the modeler can have a nicely produced reference AND decals all for about the same price the average decal sheet these days.
My sincere thanks to Kagero for this review sample!