DML 1/72 SH-3G Sea King Kit First Look
|Date of Review||June 2013||Manufacturer||DML|
|Subject||SH-3G Sea King||Scale||1/72|
|Kit Number||5113||Primary Media||Styrene|
|Pros||Great detail, positional control surfaces||Cons||None|
|Skill Level||Intermediate||MSRP (USD)||$35.95|
DML/Cyber-Hobby is back with another installment in the Sea King family. This time around we have the SH-3G Sea King in US Navy service. This series started with the Sea King HC.4 'Falklands War' followed by the distinctive Sea King AEW.2. The third installment was the first US version, the SH-3D and now we have the Golf.
This kit is molded in light gray styrene and presented on five parts trees plus one tree of clear parts. Some key features of the kit:
- Nicely detailed flight deck
- Detailed main cabin with troop seating
- Positionable crew entry door
- Positionable main cabin door
- Positionable tail (folded or flight position)
- Choice of folded main rotor, drooped main rotor, or flight main rotor
The kit provides a sheet of colorful markings options including:
- SH-3G, 149925, VC-1, UA/26, Hawaii, 1970s
- SH-3G, 149718, HC-1, NP/0037, USS Hancock, 1970s
- SH-3G, 148987, HC-2, AB/011, USS John F. Kennedy, 1970s
There are a number of spare parts that will come out of this build including some from the anti-submarine warfare version, the SH-3D and the RAF and Royal Navy Sea Kings. As with those kits, this will build into a really nice model as many of the online builds have indicated that DML certainly got this one right.
My sincere thanks to DML for this review sample!